Today it seems that a normal career means doing something you don’t really enjoy because it’s the “right thing” to do. As a result you end up doing the career equivalent of sleep walking to help you cope. Just because something is the norm doesn’t mean it’s right. I think too many people have “normal” careers but not in a good way.
According to worldwide research by the Gallup Organisation over the last few decades around 70% of people are not engaged in their work. They’re more like zombies, doing OK but not great.
In August 2018 LinkedIn conducted a survey of 12,000 people and found that 47% of professionals aged35 to 44 aren’t sure what their career path should look like, even after spending 10 to 20 years in the workforce. They described them as “sleepwalkingthrough their career, feeling like they’re on a treadmill going nowhere.”
When I look at the results for the people who’ve taken my Career Wake Up Call quiz, I can see evidence of the same issue. Here are a few stats that stand out:
- 81% of you spend at least some of your time day dreaming about the career you wish you had
- 62% are in a career that doesn’t really align with your values
- 64% use unhealthy coping mechanisms because of career dissatisfaction
- 85% feel your career isn’t progressing the way you want
- 79% aren’t happy about the idea of continuing in your current career
(If you haven’t already taken the quiz I encourage you do it using this link)
These results are the reason why I’m so passionate about helping people turn their dream career into reality. Instead of staying in a career that you like but don’t love, imagine how you’d feel to be in a career that makes you feel wide awake. You would …
- Spend your time doing less day dreaming and more dream living
- Be more aligned with your values
- Reduce your unhealthy coping mechanisms
- Make real progress in your career
- Look forward to the rest of your working life
The good news is you don’t necessarily have to quit your job and start over to get your dream career. I’ve actually come up with 16 different ways to pivot and many of them involve staying right where you are.
So if you’re sick of being normal but not in a good way then make the decision to stop sleep walking. It’s time to wake up and turn your dream career into reality, to create your own new normal. To find out more about how I can help you do that visit www.karenschmidt.com.au.
#DreamCareer #CareerSleepwalking #CareerPivot #CareerChange #MidCareerCrisis