Did you know that around 70% of people are sleep walking through their career? Research by the Gallup Organisation over the last few decades has found that across all countries people can be divided into 3 categories:
- 17% are actively disengaged or in a coma, contributing nothing, being kept alive by the system having given up caring about their career.
- 70% are not engaged, they’re like zombies mindlessly sleep walking through their careers doing OK but not great.
- 13% are awake at work, or engaged, loving their work and achieving great success.
If you’ve bothered to go online and read this it probably means you aren’t in a coma and if you’re wide awake the heading wouldn’t have attracted your attention. So I’m going to assume you’re one of the majority of people who are sleep walking.
Congratulations on being normal, but not in a good way …
Don’t worry, I can relate because until recently I was just like you. I’ve been self employed for 20 years and yet I still found myself sleep walking. Of course you can only do that for so long until it impacts your business. In my case it was a client unexpectedly cancelling a large project that left a huge hole in my cashflow and an overwhelming desire to fix the problem once and for all. You see I’d had warning signs for years that I wasn’t in the right career and I ignored them. To learn more read my story (link).
So how does this happen?
Well, there are two possible scenarios:
- You were once awake and engaged in your career but something happened. Maybe you listened to the wrong advice, said yes to the wrong opportunity, didn’t see the signs that your dream career was about to disappear or your needs changed and you didn’t adjust.
- You’ve never been awake, having chosen the wrong career out of a desire to please others or an inability to understand what you actually want to do. Instead, you’ve settled for an OK career that appears to be what you should want even though it isn’t.
I’m not sure which scenario is more depressing … but I do know that both can be fixed.
It starts with knowing what sleep walking looks like …
Here are the top 5 giveaways. See if you recognise yourself or anyone you know.
- Have to drag yourself out of bed every day to go to work
- Regularly fantasize about the career you wish you had
- Count down the days to annual leave or public holidays
- Think about winning the lottery so you can escape your career
- Hope you get made redundant or retrenched
How to wake up and turn your dream career into reality
If you want to figure out how to wake up and turn your dream career into reality then take my free Career Wake Up Call Quiz. It’s 10 simple questions that will give you a better understanding of your situation.