Are you sleep walking through your career?
You’re probably here because you like your career but you don’t love it.
On the outside your career looks great, people even envy what you have, but you feel empty on the inside. At the beginning this might have been the career you wanted but not any more. Now you feel guilty about not being grateful for what you have. Or maybe this was never what you wanted to do but you did what was expected of you.
You regularly dream about doing something else … but then you remember the time, money and energy you’ve put into getting to where you are now. You imagine what your family, friends and colleagues will say. You think about trying to change careers and it all seems too hard. So you keep doing what you’re doing even though you know it isn’t working for you. You earn good money so you distract yourself with bright shiny objects and live for holidays.
You aren’t alone.
Research by the Gallup Organisation over the last few decades has found that across all countries people can be divided into 3 categories:
- 17% are actively disengaged or in a coma, contributing nothing, being kept alive by the system having given up caring about their career.
- 70% are not engaged, they’re like zombies mindlessly sleep walking through their careers doing OK but not great.
- 13% are awake at work, or engaged, loving their work and achieving great success.
So which one are you?
Sleep walking through your career is dangerous and here’s why
- The Black Dog Institute reports that 8 Australians die by their own hand each day and another 30 attempt suicide, with 20 per cent directly linked to their work. That means every day 2 people are taking their life and 6 people are attempting to take their life because of their career.
- Beyond Blue says one in five Australians have taken time off work in the last year because they felt stressed, anxious or depressed. Those comments about “taking a mental health day” are no longer a joke.
- The European Journal of Epidemiology found the risk of having a heart attack is 20 percent higher on a Monday. You don’t need a medical degree to know why.
When you’re sleep walking you also aren’t watching out for the signs that your career is in danger. It could be from technology, government legislation or changing consumer spending patterns. Being awake let’s see what’s coming so you can future proof your career and avoid falling victim to redundancy, retrenchment or irrelevance.
I want to help you have a career wake up call before it’s too late because I believe you deserve to have your dream career. You just need to figure out what that means for you.
That’s where I can help
I’m Karen Schmidt and I’m a career coach who shows mid career professionals how to wake up and turn their career dream into reality. That might mean making some minor adjustments or doing a major shift. The important thing is you make decisions based on what’s right for you, not just follow the crowd.
I have over 30 years experience working in Human Resources and Corporate Training with 20 of those years spent self employed as a speaker, facilitator and coach.
I’m the author of 5 books on career planning, personal development and leadership plus I have a degree in Adult Education and a range of other related qualifications and accreditations.
I’ve done 5 career pivots myself so I know what it’s like to be in your situation. To learn more read my story.
I want to use my experiences to help you turn your dream career into reality. I can show you how to get clear on your personal definition of success and then pivot from where you are now to create a career that makes you feel awake!
I don’t believe that changing careers is the answer. What you need to learn is how to do a career pivot because it’s a skill you’re likely to use more than once during your career.
So I’m not necessarily going to encourage you to quit your job. Often you can create your dream career by staying where you are and making minor adjustments. What I want to do is give you the tools to make decisions that are right for you. I want to help you create your dream career instead of living someone else’s dream because when you do that it often turns into a nightmare!
Who I help
I work with mid career professionals who:
- Are successful but stressed or disillusioned
- Find they are questioning the status quo and discovering it doesn’t work for them
- Look conventional on the outside but on the inside feel trapped and want to break free
- Know their definition of success doesn’t match their current career
- Feel like they aren’t using their full potential
- Believe that in the right career they can do great things
- Realise it’s time to do something about it before it’s too late
I know I can help if you’re open to being helped. If that sounds like you then take a look at my services and contact me to discuss how we can work together to turn your dream career into reality!